Employee Certification Incentive Pay
Administration and Finance
Certification is a highly valued professional achievement within the division of Administration and Finance. It demonstrates a level of knowledge and expertise within the profession. Certain positions within the division may be required to attain these certifications as a condition of employment. These expectations will be clearly outlined within the job description and communicated to prospective employees. For those positions without this requirement, the attainment of certification allows the employee to enhance his/her professional career. Certification benefits both the employee and the department.
Eligible Staff Positions:
- All continuous, regular exempt staff.
- Continuous, regular nonexempt staff may be provided certification incentives upon the approval of the Vice President.
- CPA - Certified Public Accountant
- PHR - Professional in Human Resources, Society for Human Resources Management
- SPHR - Senior Professional in Human Resources, Society for Human Resources Management
- CCP - Certified Compensation Professional, World At Work
- CBP - Certified Benefits Professional, World At Work
- CPP - Certified Payroll Professional, America Payroll Association
- CFE - Certified Fraud Examiner
- CRM - Certified Risk Manager
Courses leading to certification may be paid for by the department as part of the employee's training plan. Travel expenses incurred through the acquisition of certification will be paid as with other events, as appropriate. Examination fees are not paid for by the department because a professional certification remains with an employee should he/she separate employment.
It is the employee's responsibility to provide annual proof of continuing professional status, to be included in the departmental personnel file. If an employee's certification expires without renewal, his/her incentive will be revoked.
- Eligibility for payments as indicated above.
- $150/month for acquiring approved certification. Increase in pay will remain active for as long as the certification is current and pertinent to the position duties.
- Multiple certifications do not result in additional increases in pay above the initial incentive payment.
- All certification requirements must be fulfilled before a pay increase can be granted.
- Employee must maintain "good" level performance (3.0 on 5.0 scale) or "competent" (2.0 or 3.0 scale).
- Employees who are currently on corrective action in accordance with OSU Policy 3-07203 (Corrective Action and Dismissal of Staff) are generally ineligible to receive this incentive; however, they can become eligible by successfully completing the corrective action plan established for them. Please contact Human Resources Consulting Services if you have any questions regarding corrective action and staff eligibility.
Oklahoma State University reserves the right to modify, revoke, suspend, terminate or change any or all provisions of the plan, in whole or part, at any time, with or without notice. The language appearing in this document is not intended to create, nor is it to be construed to constitute, a contract between Oklahoma State University and any or all of its employees.
Review and Approval:
Christa Louthan, SPHR; Chief Human Resources Officer
Joseph B. Weaver Jr.; Senior Vice President, Administration & Finance